Thursday, December 1, 2011

Goodness in my mouth

The winter season always makes me want to drink... hot yummy things, that is! ;) I go to the gym each morning and sweat my little heart out only to come home and sabotage myself with things like peppermint mocha's or my latest concoction, caramel apple cider!

Jeremiah was at school so it was just the kids and I. Joel was sleeping and the girls were cleaning their room so I guess I started to get a little bored. I started having a craving for a nice, hot drink but didn't want coffee or hot cocoa again. I got the bright idea to make hot apple cider! I had about 6 apples (I think they were fuji apples??) just hanging out in my fridge so I decided to juice them. It gave me roughly 4 cups of juice. Then I added about 2 tablespoons of whole cloves, 6 cinnamon sticks (I really like my cider spiced, lol) and half a teaspoon of vanilla. I let it come to a boil & simmered it for about 5 minutes.
While the cider was simmering I had the bright idea to recreate starbucks caramel apple cider. I didn't have any caramel on hand so I found this link: homemade caramel sauce and got started! I was a bit nervous but it actually turned out great! I just made sure to pay really close attention to all of the directions! Haha. After the caramel was done I poured it in a jar for storage and strained the juice into the pot. I added 1/2 of the caramel to the juice and whisked it really well. It ended up tasting exactly like the starbucks hot caramel apple cider! It was delicious! And full of sugar and fat! Haha. Definitely a holiday drink, thats for sure ;) 
Yummy caramel sauce 




No comments:

Post a Comment