Monday, November 21, 2011

Champagne bottle lamp

Ok, so this isn't really a lamp. It just looks like one. And of course I got the idea from pinterest! Haha ;) I started with an empty champagne bottle:
and an old, crappy miniature lampshade that I got at the thrift store for like $.75

  I  wrote the phrase: "You and I... For all our days" around the thickest part of the bottle with white puffy paint. This was the same phrase Jer and I had inscribed on our cake knife and cutter for our wedding. It has a sweet inside meaning between the two of us that started when we were dating and I figured it would be nice to bring a personal touch to our bathroom. Lol! I also added some little dots around the bottle neck just for fun. I spray painted the bottle with a coat of white primer and about 3 coats of regular satin finish white spray paint. While each coat was drying I got started on the lampshade. I wasn't sure what I was going to do at first, but knew the fabric had to go. So I stripped it down to the plastic base. I saw a few ideas for lampshade repurposing using fabric, but I didn't have any that would be right for my bathroom so I went to option number 2. I found a page of scrapbook paper that would work, but didn't think I'd have enough, so I found another one similar. I cut them each into think strips like this:
I mixed together about 1/4 cup elmers glue with about 1/4 cup water (not exactly sure because I just eyed it). Then I dipped each strip into the solution and started wrapping the lampshade vertically. I hung it to dry like this: 
After everything was dry I just placed the lampshade on the bottle. This is what it looked like: 
Cute, right?! I'm going for the shabby-chic look and I think this fits perfectly ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment